our island: Mosaic

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Mosaic

The original mission of this blog was to provide an idea of the particular vegetation and "look" of our island. Today I'm reverting to that goal with a few impressions. As always this blog presents "my" island and doesn't aspire to anything more.
This spunky little Black-eyed Susan is right at the corner of our driveway and front walk. Despite much neglect and the dumping of beach bags and chairs atop her, she keeps coming back all on her own. I love seeing her there.

Bayberries - universally famous in candle form - and the namesake of the Bayberry Inn, one of my mother's favorite restaurants on the island. They grow wild and are also cultivated in local gardens.

Beach plums - prolific all over the island and delicious when made into Beach Plum Jam or, so I've been told, into Beach Plum Wine. I must admit I've never tasted the wine, but I can vouch for the jam.

And I always come back to my favorite - the bay grass. I love the view of the shallows with the grasses as they change in color and texture with the seasons.

Just a few more pieces of the mosaic that is "my" island.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rafael said...

Nature’s beauty can be found in the simplest of things. A shrub in the front yard, a blade of grass waving in the breeze, an old lighthouse that seems to be guarding the bay and the dunes from the onslaught of the human invasion, al old boat resting in the slumber of late summer…… Your island is full of wonderful things of beauty.

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home